Featured terpenes: Floral aromas
Did you know that the aroma compounds (terpenes) that give flower petals their unique scent are also found in the cannabis plant?
In cannabis, terpenes are chemicals that are created and stored in the trichomes of the plant, along with cannabinoids such as tetrahydrocannabiniol (THC) and cannabidiol (CBD).
Cannabis users have indicated that terpenes are sometimes associated with various effects. The exact effects of different terpenes on their own, and within cannabis, are currently unknown, but floral-scented terpenes are generally thought to provide a relaxing and calming aroma.
This month, our collection features non-medical cannabis products that are high in floral terpenes, including linalool, the terpene that gives lavender its comforting smell.. Floral aromas can be sweet, nutty or even bitter. Here are some of the other common floral terpenes that you’ll find in our Featured Terpenes collection this month:
- Linalool is thought to have a calming effect for some people and is the terpene present in lavender, laurel, mint, birch trees, and rosewood. It is often present in high concentrations in sativa plants.
- Bisabolol is considered to have a comforting effect for some people and is the delicate, floral, peppery, and nutty-smelling terpene found naturally in cannabis, chamomile, and the bark of the candeia tree.
- Fenchol is thought to have a restorative effect for some people and is the bitter, piney, floral, lime-like terpene that is found in fennel and basil, helping to give the latter its distinctive aroma.
- Geraniol is considered to have a relaxing effect for some people and is the terpene naturally produced in geranium flowers, tobacco, and lemons. Its floral, waxy, and fruity aromatics are similar to citronella.
- Geranyl Acetate is a terpene with a sweet, floral, and herbal aroma profile, thought to have a balancing effect for some peopleIt is found in geranium, palmarosa, citronella, and lemongrass.
- Nerolidol is considered to have a calming effect for some people and it is the terpene that has woody and floral notes. It is found in neroli, ginger, jasmine, and lavender.
- Ocimene is a terpene with sweet, tropical, floral, and woody notes, thought to be purifying for some people. It is found in allspice, mint, basil, parsley, and pepper.
- Phytol is considered to have a steadyingerpene that has a sweet and floral aroma. It is found in green tea, lime, and citrus.
- Terpineol is thought to be a refreshing terpene that is also found in pine trees, lilac trees, cannabis, eucalyptus leaves, sap, and lime blossoms.
- Terpinolene is a piney, floral, and herbal scented terpene thought to have a cleansing effect for some people. It is also found in nutmeg, tea tree, conifers, apples, cumin, and lilac trees.
Shop our curated collection of floral-scented Featured Terpenes online.